Monday, November 03, 2008

Vacation in Flanders...

The school vacation corresponded to an out-of-town consulting gig for my wife so we all drove up to our old town of Geel.  I took the trip as an opportunity to revel in some delicious beers (Westmalle tripel) and classic Belgian dishes like moules-frites. 

As for some wine....I recently started representing Domaine Fernand et Laurent Pillot, of Chassagne-Montrachet, to the trade in Paris so I took the opportunity to show off their wines to my wine-loving friends in Belgium.  Today we had a 2002 Puligny-Montrachet "Noyers-Brets".  A crystaline deep yellow color with a steely nose of apple, vanilla, and apricots.  Creamy yet focused with lively acidity, this is drinking at its peak at 6 years of age (6 years already!?  My kids are 6??  Egad.)   

Le Noyer Bret is designated vineyard in Puligny but classified as a villages wine.  It lies down hill from the grand cru vineyard Batard-Montrachet.  The wine shows a nice contrast between the more steely style of Puligny Montrachet and the rounder wines from Chassagne.  An honest value as it sells for around 20€ a bottle. 


No comments: