Tuesday, February 19, 2008


In my photo essays of Domaines Belleville and Chopin I mentioned that they also run gites and chabre d’hotes; the very quaint and traditional farm houses that private owbers rent out for that extra “local” feel tourists want when on vacation. It seems to be a rather recent trend (last 10 years) as I don’t remember this during earlier visits to Burgundy.

The other day, however, while reading the latest Bougogne Aujourd’hui, I was surprised to come across an advertisement for a gite run by the famous Domaine Anne Gros. Maison d’hotes la Colombiere

Unlike your simple rough-style farm house, this is sleek and modern inside a completely refurbished town house. What’s more is that she offers a complete oenotourism experience: multiple packages allow you to experience harvet time, learning about the vineyards, private tastings, and short courses with the new ecole de vins de bourgogne. Anne Gros has transcended the cloistered independant-thinking Burgundian domaine to become an international destination. Talk about add-on selling! Bravo Domaine Gros, I know where my next Burgundian vacation will be!

No comments: